The 2014 AAA Thanksgiving Travel Forecast is out and it looks like more than 46 million people will be travelling this year, 89 percent will be driving.
The weather forecast for Wednesday, November 26th does not look very good and conditions may be a little challenging. There is a winter storm watch in effect starting Wednesday morning and lasting until Thursday morning. Here are a few winter driving tips
- Make sure you have an emergency kit in your car
- Make sure tires are properly inflated
- Make sure you are well rested and eliminate distractions
- Be patient and follow the rules of the road
- If you have car problems pull as far as possible off the road and turn on hazard lights , use a triangle warning sign or road flares (instructions on how to use road flares here).
- Turn on your headlights, using low beam when traveling in snow
- If you skid, don’t brake or accelerate. Remove your foot from the gas, and gently steer your car in the direction of the skid. When your car starts heading in the desired direction, carefully straighten the wheel.
You can find more winter driving tips here.
For those of you taking public transportation here are a few helpful tidbits:
For NJ TRANSIT NEC – the train will be operating on Holiday Schedule on Thursday November 27th and modified weekday schedules on NEC and NJCL on November 28th. You can find the schedules here .
For NJ TRANSIT Bus – Many lines operate on a Special Holiday Schedule, some starting on November 26th. You can find the schedule here.
NJ TRANSIT announced they will be having early getaway trains. You can find the schedules here .